July 18, 2013

Throwback Thursday



It's that time again, Throwback Thursday. Today, I'm thinking about Building Community. Community has always been an important aspect of my teaching philosophy. When we support and care for one another, we can excel. I'm a huge proponent of Responsive Classroom. As a first grade teacher, we would begin every day with Morning Meeting. I'm exploring what Responsive Classroom and community looks like in a departmentalized grade level. We are very close in third grade. Though we each have a homeroom, every third grader is OUR student. Mrs. Oppenheim, Mrs. Holt-Taylor, and I take an active interest in the "whole child." Two years ago, our class motto was "Room 105 C.A.R.E.S." I will be implementing a similar idea this year. Stay tuned for more!



 September 23, 2011 

I wanted to share about our introduction to CARES. CARES stands for Cooperation, Accountability, Respect, Empathy, and Self-Control. We focused on one word a day this past week. I read a children's book each day, showcasing the character trait and then led a discussion. Students are beginning to develop an understanding of these "big" words, but we have much more planned! Next week, we will be participating in roll plays. Students will also will be creating a page for our book "Room 105 CARES!"

Below you can check out the books used in introducing CARES.

COOPERATION

ACCOUNTABILITY 

RESPECT

EMPATHY

SELF-CONTROL
 
some_text

No comments:

Post a Comment